Whitney Houston's funeral: Love and humor dominate remembrances of pop superstar


For more than three  and half  hours, some of the biggest names in music and film spoke movingly, occasionally humorously, but always lovingly about Whitney Houston at her funeral this afternoon at Newark’s New Hope Baptist Church.
"Very very moving. That's the word...it had something for everyone," soul-singer Roberta Flack said afterward.
At around 4 p.m., Houston's casket was loaded into a hearse and returned to Whigham Funeral Home. She is to be buried Sunday at Fairview Cemetery in Westfield, next to her father.
Stevie Wonder, BeBe and CeCe Winans, Alicia Keys and R. Kelly were among those who performed at the funeral, which was interspersed with hymns by the church choir and remarks by, among others, Clive Davis, Houston’s record producer; Ricky Minor her music director; her cousin Dionne Warwick and Ray Watson, her security guard for the past 11 years.
Flack said Stevie Wonder’s performance of “Ribbon in the Sky,” rewritten as a tribute to Houston was especially emotional.

"That got to me. That's when I lost it."
As her silver casket was carried out of the church where she first sang as a child, Whitney Houston's unforgettable voice could be heard singing her greatest hit I Will Always Love You, reducing many mourners to tears, as the star made her final journey before being laid to rest.
Whitney’s mother Cissy followed right behind the casket and had to be supported by two helpers as she tearfully watched her only daughter’s coffin being taken out. Bobbi Kristina followed closely behind as the sobs of Cissy Houston could be heard throughout the church as she wailed: 'My baby!'
Shortly before the service began, the star's distraught ex-husband Bobby Brown was seen storming out of the church after arguing with Houston's family over the number of guests he was allowed to bring to the service.

The late singer will be laid to rest tomorrow alongside her father John Houston. The casket will be watched by 10 security guards until her burial, TMZ reported.
Among the mourners at today's highly-charged service, were singers Chaka Khan, Brandy, Roberta Flack, Jordin Sparks and Jennifer Hudson. Singer Ray J, who spent time with Houston during her last days, broke down crying before the service had even begun.
Mother Cissy and daughter Bobbi Kristina, 18, were in the front row, both in black, both with heads bowed in grief.
After storming out, Bobby Brown was driven away from the funeral but later returned in time for the start of the home going service.
Brown got into an argument with Whitney's family over whether or not he could bring nine people into the church with him. He was invited and told he could bring two people but instead showed up with an entourage of nine. 
Bobby reportedly became upset when he was told his party could not be seated. He was also refused to sit beside his daughter Bobbi Kristina in the front row.


In a statement put out by his representative after the funeral ended, he explained: 'My children and I were invited to the funeral of my ex-wife Whitney Houston.  We were seated by security and then subsequently asked to move on three separate occasions. 
'I fail to understand why security treated my family this way and continue to ask us and no one else to move. Security then prevented me from attempting to see my daughter Bobbi-Kristina. In light of the events, I gave a kiss to the casket of my ex-wife and departed as I refused to create a scene. 
'My children are completely distraught over the events. This was a day to honor Whitney. I doubt Whitney would have wanted this to occur. I will continue to pay my respects to my ex-wife the best way I know how.'
Speaking to CNN, Rev Al Sharpton said: ‘I talked to Bobby. He came to show love and respect to Whitney and Bobbi Kristina. He said all he wanted was to show respect and love. Bishop T. D. Jakes and I spoke to him earlier and he just wanted to show his respects.’

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More